Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#261684 - 29/07/2005 16:57 Re: earl? [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I mostly don't shorten. "Sequel" for S-Q-L still gives me the creeps. 'Course, I have taken to using "dub-dub-dub" and I have been genuinely surprised that many folks don't employ the phonetic "fak" for F-A-Q. I hate spelling that one out.

This is the only one I have difficulty with. I prefer to use "fak", for some reason (I spell everything else out), but I'm never absolutely certain if the person I'm talking to is going to know what I'm talking about.

#261685 - 29/07/2005 18:57 Re: earl? [Re: peter]
Foz

Loc: San Jose, CA
Let's see if I can catch up here. For the record, I pronounce things thusly:

Linux: Lynn ux (short "i")
Debian: Debb ee un (short inital e)
Suse: Suzie
URL: U-R-L
Exe: eggsy (although I also use a "real" OS lol)
WWW: Doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou (I despise "dub dub dub")
FAQ: F-A-Q
SQL: Both Sequel and S-Q-L depending
OSX: Oh Ess Ten (had to break the Oh Ess Exx habit)
gif: hard G. Jif is a peanut butter, not a graphics format
jpg: jpeg

Hmm, did I miss any?

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789

#261686 - 29/07/2005 19:26 Re: earl? [Re: Foz]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

gif: hard G. Jif is a peanut butter, not a graphics format

No, Jif is lemon juice in a squeezy bottle...

...over here at least.

(or a cleaning product, but for reasons I don't understand they renamed it recently to Cif)

Edited by andy (29/07/2005 19:40)

#261687 - 29/07/2005 19:45 Re: earl? [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Choosy moms choose

Attachments
261614-jif.jpg (153 downloads)

#261688 - 29/07/2005 21:52 Re: earl? [Re: Foz]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
When first reading this thread, I started to think that my position on pronouncing letters vs. making words from acronyms was inconsistent. However, the more I look at some of the examples, I've figured out that I actually have an algorithm in my head that governs this selection process. I don't know all of the coefficients and fudge factors in the equation, but in general, my likelihood of making a word out of an acronym:

- varies in proportion to how much shorter that word is (in syllables) compared to spelling the letters out
- varies inversely with how goofy that word sounds when pronounced

Of course, Linux, Debian, etc. aren't subject to this policy, only things like EXE and SQL. For instance, SQL is 33% shorter than "S Q L" and sounds like a real word ("sequel") so I use it. "Eggsy" or "ecksie" are the same 33% shorter, but they both sound goofy, so I spell out "E X E."

"Com" instead of "C O M" (as in COMMAND.COM) is a no-brainer, because it's 66% shorter and doesn't sound goofy at all. Others that fall into this category for me are "ping" for PNG and "jay-peg" for JPG.

One additional note is that when a letter can produce multiple different sounds (such as a hard and soft consonant sound) I always try to make sure that sound is reflected in the word made from the letters. So GIF files are "giff" not "jiff" because it's not the Compuserve Giraffe Interchange Format (although that would probably make a great Gary Larson cartoon.)

"Earl" or "URL" is an interesting one. To me, it sounds goofy, because it's a guy's name. ("Who's Earl?") In addition, the U stands for Universal, which begins with more of a Y sound ("yooniversal") than any kind of U vowel sound. These two strikes against it lead me to sound out "U R L" despite its comparative awkwardness.

One of the toughest calls is "dub dub dub" vs. "W W W". The former is 33% in terms of syllables, but sounds absolutely retarded. The goofiness loses in the end, and I go with the 9-syllable monstrosity known as "W W W." (The compromise, "dubya dubya dubya" is out of bounds for me due to similarities to... well, some moron from Texas.)

Anyway, I'm sure if I thought long enough I could think of examples which break these criteria, especially as the acronyms get longer... But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

#261689 - 30/07/2005 01:02 Re: earl? [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Wow, that's a lot of thought there. I think, however, that my "alogrithm" is pretty much the same.

One thing I'd add about my own usage of words vs. letters is understandability. I think F-A-Q is a good example. "FAK" is shorter and doesn't sound silly to me, but I'd never be sure if people understood what I was talking about- especially the people I need to direct there!

#261690 - 30/07/2005 01:11 Re: earl? [Re: tonyc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That's a smart little algorithm. I seem to follow that and never noticed it.

I've heard "earl" recently from some technology vendors or some software corporation rep or something. I figured it was the new fangled "get some mindshare" tricksey marketing way of saying the same old thing. Come on marketing guys, Universal Resource Locationdevice...thing

Oh, and some other funny ones I've heard, admittedly from hardware manufacturer tech support lines, so there's clearly a language barrier:
"Visit our website at H T T P column slash slash...."
"support dot abitusa dot com dot" (reading the period at the end of the sentence) (not sure if it was abit)

Oh there must be so many more... let me think... Now, if only Microsoft Office would stop spell checking PDF as "puff".

#261691 - 30/07/2005 07:10 Re: earl? [Re: andy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
(or a cleaning product, but for reasons I don't understand they renamed it recently to Cif)

European product harmonisation: Spaniards can't pronounce 'J' sounds properly .

#261692 - 30/07/2005 14:42 Re: earl? [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
"ping" for PNG

From libpng.org:

Quote:
So what is PNG, and why is it worthy of its own home site? PNG (pronounced "ping") is the Portable Network Graphics format ....

Some of its spiffier features include:
  • unambiguous pronunciation (ooo, baby!)

Quote:
the U stands for Universal, which begins with more of a Y sound ("yooniversal") than any kind of U vowel sound

Also, I was thinking about it, and I tend to pronounce letters in things with a few exceptions, but the most common pronunciation of URL I hear is kinda like "your'l" or "yurrel" which would at least match the "U" sound from "universal"..

#261693 - 01/08/2005 20:03 Re: earl? [Re: andym]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
So how do you pronounce debian?

In my mind it was clear how it should be pronounced- and this was confirmed by wikipedia:
Quote:
History

Debian was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock, then a student at Purdue University, who wrote the Debian Manifesto which called for the creation of a Linux distribution to be maintained in an open manner, in the spirit of Linux and GNU. He chose the name by combining the first name of his then-girlfriend (now wife) Debra with his own first name "Ian", forming the portmanteau "Debian", pronounced as the corresponding syllables of these names are in American English: /d&#603;b&#712;i&#720;j&#601;n/.

Hah- well, the BBS doesn't support the pronunciation fonts, but you get the picture.

Anyway, I pronounce most -ian words like that, even (for amusement) 'par-meas-ian' (the cheeze).

Meanwhile, in a related Debian/pronunciation way, as I was loading Debian onto an old beige box this weekend my housemate looked over my shoulder and asked, "Debbie-Ann? Who is that?"

#261694 - 01/08/2005 21:35 Re: earl? [Re: Robotic]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:

Meanwhile, in a related Debian/pronunciation way, as I was loading Debian onto an old beige box this weekend my housemate looked over my shoulder and asked, "Debbie-Ann? Who is that?"

That is a pronunciation I can remember! It's even close to what the creator had in mind.

#261695 - 02/08/2005 05:39 Re: earl? [Re: Robotic]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
That pronunciation of Debian would have never occured to me. I have been happily saying deeebian for years. Doh.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2