Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308148 - 13/03/2008 16:30 mirror playlists on 2 units
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
I just purchased another empeg and would like to use this unit as a permanent installation within my home theater. As such, i would like to duplicate exactly what is on my original empeg. what would you suggest to be the easiest way to do this...i am thiniking just installing a hdd from the spare unit into the original unit and do a copy that way.

unfortunately i no longer have all of the songs on my pc so i cannot go that route...

any suggestions?

#308154 - 13/03/2008 18:42 Re: mirror playlists on 2 units [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Drive Upgrade Guide has instructions on how to clone the data from one drive directly to another, when both are plugged into the empeg. It's under "Step 7: Copying files (special circumstances only)". Make sure the new drive is fully built and formatted and has freah player software on it before doing that.

If you don't want to open up the empeg to do the job, you can do it using some of the backup and restore tricks listed here and/or here.

#308161 - 13/03/2008 21:00 Re: mirror playlists on 2 units [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
If you don't want to open up the empeg to do the job, you can do it using some of the backup and restore tricks listed here and/or here.

Tony, the link to my webpage should probably be changed to point to either the empeg category, the cloning with netcat page or the rsync page.

#308162 - 13/03/2008 21:12 Re: mirror playlists on 2 units [Re: Roger]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
unfortunately i no longer have all of the songs on my pc so i cannot go that route...

any suggestions?

Yes -- solve that problem first! If you like these songs enough to want them on your second Empeg, you like them enough that they shouldn't be on just one device, in case of drive failure and/or theft...

Peter

#308166 - 13/03/2008 22:25 Re: mirror playlists on 2 units [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Broken link to Rsync guide fixed. Thanks, Roger!